Fruits plays an important role in the life of a person and eating balance diet make you to lose quality weight. Fruits are a gift from God and they are rich source of important nutrients and minerals. Many fruits contain less amount of carbohydrates and less calories as well. Those people eat fruits who want to get rid of high calorie carbohydrates such as rice and pasta and they are able to achieve their goals as well. Banana is the fruit which is readily available in every season in every part of the world. It is a tasty fruit and contains nutrients and vitamins. Many people want to know about carbs in a banana and this article is about how many carbs in a banana you need to eat.
How many Carbs in a Banana?
Carbohydrates are the sugars that provide fuel to your whole body. You can get carbohydrates from various sources such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains. These carbohydrates provide instant energy boost to your body. When we notice the carbs in a banana, we get that carbohydrates are present in banana and you can get 21% of your daily intake of a carbohydrates from a banana. This shows how much bananas are important for us.
On average we can say that one banana contains 26.95 grams of total carbohydrates. These values are given for a medium size banana such as 7 inches long and weight of 118 grams. In this way you will get 105 calories from banana. You must note that sugar which is added from outside cause an increase of blood sugar but natural sugar don’t cause an increase of blood sugar level because it is balanced by fiber so when we consume one banana it means that we gain 14.43 grams of sugar. Banana contains soluble and insoluble fiber which is equal to 3.1 grams. The fiber content in banana helps to regulate the blood sugar level and lowers cholesterol as well. We can get 12% of daily intake of fiber from banana.
Why is Banana the Perfect Choice?
Bananas are perfect choice for a daily healthy snack because it is not only healthy but fat free as well. Although carbs content in a banana is little higher but it has 2 grams of proteins and 4 grams of fiber which make it a perfect fruit. Bananas are excellent source of essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Folic acid, potassium, riboflavin, niacin and many other important nutrients.
Glycemic Index and Counting Carbs in a Banana:
It is very important to know the carbs content of fruit you are eating on daily basis because in this way you can control your blood sugar level. Another important thing is Glycemic Index of bananas and it is a way to measure how carbohydrates enter the blood stream and how it effects on the blood sugar level. The glycemic index is scale from 1 to 100 and foods which have higher GI mean they quickly raise the blood sugar level and foods which have lower GI mean they slowly affect the blood sugar. So the glycemic index of bananas rage from 42 to 51 and it all depends on the ripeness of banana. When the banana is perfectly ripped it means it has glycemic index of 51 but an unripe banana having green skin has glycemic index of 42. Therefore, when a person eats a fully ripe banana then his blood sugar level is quickly raised. According to the health experts bananas which are fully ripe their carbs are readily converted into sugar as compare to the raw banana. The unripe fruit contains carbohydrates in the form of resistant starch which usually lack the enzyme to digest it.
Why you must include Bananas in your Diet:
- How bananas improve our digestive health? A number of health benefits are associated with dietary fiber. Approximately 3 grams of fiber is present in a medium sized banana. Banana contains two types of fiber such as pectin and resistant starch. This is the reason you must include bananas in your daily diet. If you are suffering from the problem of constipation then bananas are great for you for they help to normalize the bowel movement. The problem of acid reflux and heartburn can be treated with banana. It is noticed that this will help to treat stomach ulcers as well.
- Those who have depression due to the high level of tryptophan and then they should consume bananas because it is easily converted into serotonin. In this way it fruit overcomes the problem of depression.
- If you are suffering from the problem of anemia then bananas are good source of iron, calcium and potassium so you shouldn’t ditch bananas from your diet.
- When it comes to dietary anti-oxidants then bananas is considered as a super food because it is rich source of anti-oxidants. It contains several types of anti-oxidants like dopamine and catechins and they are linked to several health benefits such as prevent heart disease and degenerative disease.
- Bananas are good for heart health because they contain Potassium a mineral that is important for heart health and blood pressure control. Despite the importance of banana people don’t get enough potassium in their daily diet. One medium-sized banana of weight approximately 118 grams contains 9% of daily intake of potassium. A diet which is rich in potassium can help to lower blood pressure and according to a survey people who consume potassium have 27% lower risk of heart disease. A student preparing for his exams must include bananas in his diet because it boosts the memory as well. This fruit also contain decent amount of magnesium which is important requirement for our body.
How many carbs in a banana depends on the size and ripeness of banana. Banana is a fruit we must include in our daily routine because it contains natural sugar and fiber. It is rich source of many essential vitamins and minerals so you shouldn’t ditch bananas at all.